Re: [yast-devel] Adding the apply buttons to services
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:31:46 +0200
On 04/21/2015 04:35 PM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 16:56:49 +0200

I started to implement this UI for yast-dns-server and I need some
veteran's feedback.
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1cVv4FY4tWRLAnMG96Cdfvw8asTNpzhFUdKn4TEq8HYI/edit?usp=sharing

Looks like most similar modules are implemented using Wizard
(sometimes through CWM::DialogTree), which means only 3 buttons,
namely back, abort and next.

For dns-server I could abuse the slot of the back button (seems it
wouldn't be the first time[1]). But looking at the screenshots at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OA77GehzFKuoJWm0weN-bCi1BjfR2VAQNWoE1OOOrDE/edit?usp=sharing
it looks that wouldn't be a generic solution, since I can see some
"back" buttons there (most of them disabled, but still a problem).

Any chance of getting my "apply" button in a generic way keeping the
usage of Wizard and CWM::DialogTree?

Thanks

[1]
https://github.com/yast/yast-yast2/blob/master/library/wizard/src/modules/Wizard.rb#L507

Hi,
I do not feel myself veteran enough, but having apply button that apply
only services settings looks very confusing for me.

Well, actually the convenience of an apply button is the smallest
problem here (is just one of the possible discussed interfaces).

Also I think there
is not easy generic way how to achieve it, unless you plan to modify
wizard itself:
https://github.com/libyui/libyui/blob/master/src/YWizard.cc#L47
which means very intrusive ABI and API change, so I wory that there is
no easy generic way unless you want to change whole wizard.

Yes, that's actually the real problem: for ncurses is quite easy (with
small compatible changes to the Wizard class) to add additional content
out of the tree[1] but with Qt is impossible by design of the YWizard
class, in which even the action buttons are visually included in the
tree[2].

The only agreement we have reached so far about a new UI (in all the
discussed options, with or without apply button) is that the control of
the current status of the service must be out of the tree, since it does
not belong to any concrete tab (it's not a configuration option).

That's not doable. With YWidget every element has to be in one tab of
the tree. Period.

Rethinking mode activated.

[1] http://paste.opensuse.org/2181959
[2] http://paste.opensuse.org/16999740