[yast-devel] HowTo: VNC setup for a sprint review

Hi all,

I prepared the VNC setup for the sprint review meeting we had this morning
and I'd like to share the knowledge.

I used an openSUSE-13.2 system but I guess a SLE12 system should work as well.

Here is the How To:

1) install "xorg-x11-Xvnc" package (in my case it was already installed by
default,
just to be sure...)

2) run "vncserver :1" command (as a normal user, root is not needed), the
number is
the VNC session number - you can run more VNC sessions on the same machine

3) at the first run it asks for the VNC password to use, set also a password
for the "view only" mode

4) open the VNC port in firewall:

- "yast2 firewall" -> Allowed services -> select "VNC" in the "Service to
allow"
combo box -> press "Add" on the right side, save the changes

- or manually add the "vnc-server" value to the FW_CONFIGURATIONS_EXT
variable
in /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 file and restart the firewall
("rcSuSEfirewall2 restart")

5) connect to the VNC session using "vncviewer -shared <server_host_name>:1"
(install "tigervnc" package if the command is missing in your system)

6) on the server use "vncserver -list" to list the running VNC sessions, use
"vncserver -kill :1" to finish the VNC session

Notes
=====

- the VNC server stores the passwords in ~/.vnc/passwd file, use "vncpasswd"
to change it

- the "-shared" option for vncviewer is crucial, without it only one client
could
be connected at the same time

- the new started VNC session will use the default desktop, you can override
this by
setting the WINDOWMANAGER environment variable, this can be useful if you
want to
run something less fancy than KDE if the network bandwidth is limited, e.g.
"WINDOWMANAGER=icewm vncserver :1"

- the clipboard is by default shared between the VNC session and the X11 server,
you can disable that in the "VNC config" window which is displayed in the VNC
session after start (you can start it manually by "vncconfig" if you close it)

- last but not least: VNC connections are NOT secure by default [1]
(i.e. do not run plain VNC on a public server, in an internal network still
consider running the shared VNC session in a separate VM)

HTH

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing#Security

--

Ladislav Slez√°k