[yast-devel] Services UI, a different approach
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:22:00 +0100
We have been brainstorming again (offline) about the UI for services. We
discussed again about the 4 possible combinations of statuses at boot
(enabled/disable) and statuses after clicking "ok" (running/stopped). We
even discussed about the 16 possible transitions between all those
combinations. Interesting but not extremely fruitful.

So I'm thinking in an alternative popup-free interface that makes no
assumption about the connection between both concepts. It's described here:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1cVv4FY4tWRLAnMG96Cdfvw8asTNpzhFUdKn4TEq8HYI/edit

If the user want to enable and start a service he needs to do both
things explicitly (and the other way around). On the other hand, they
will never get an unexpected result because the interface stays clearly
(with a better wording than the proposed one) what the state would be
after saving the changes (even if the service is going to be reloaded or
not).

Ladislav and myself are both unsure about the details but we both think
that the approach is worth exploring.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

PS.- Keep Ken on CC when replying.