Re: [yast-devel] Code Review
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 09:18:50 +0100
Stefan Schubert <schubi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
the machinery team uses pull requests for doing code refactoring.
Have a look to:

http://tech.lovewithfood.com/blog/2014/09/04/refactoring-in-code-review-my-experience/

About 80 percent of my pull requests are commented with suggestions
how to improve
the code and every time I am thinking on my own: "Hey, nice, but why
have you not already
changed it immediately in my pull request?"
From my point of view I would really appreciate if the person who
reviews my pull requests
would also change the code at once if he/she see any improvements. So
the reviewer does
not have to ask for permissions. Just do it. ;-)
Sure, I would have to test the changed code again. But that is not
really a problem:-)

What do you think ?

Greetings
Stefan

Hi Stefan,
for me there is two main reasons why not to do it:

1) not all changes are non-controversial, so changing something without
agreement of code author do not see for me like nice stuff. And
sometimes it is even hard to recognize what is controversial change.

2) learning part will be missing. If I write in comment better ruby
construct, then I think it is more educative if author look at it,
think about it and if it found better also try to write it themself. I
worry that if I start writting changes myself, then in the end, I need
to rewrite all pull requests I will see :)

Josef