Re: [yast-devel] Brainstorming Sessions
On 28.1.2015 09:04, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 01/27/2015 03:59 PM, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
Moin,

I've discussed this with some of you already. Anyway, for the rest...

The problem definition is this: We often have something we'd like to
discuss with others and get a quick response. At least I have these
quite often. Mailing-list works only partly as people have too much time
for their response and sometimes do not respond at all, so quick and
still good solution that could be made in 30 minutes takes two weeks.

There is a simple solution: Brainstorming - that's proven to bring fast
and good ideas (please, +1 if you are interested, -1 if not).

How to implement it with distributed team? We have plenty of
possibilities: phone conference (people only hear you and you can't
share your, e.g., drawings), video conference Orange/Rome (only
internal, e.g., Ancor can't join), G+ Hangout (some of you don't like
using Google), Internal web-based audio/video system (not tested by me).
Other ideas welcomed!

Google Hangout works like a charm. I use it every day with highly
distributed teams.
Drawback: the big brother.

Maybe I'm wrong but we work on an upstream project and everything we do is publicly visible, so no big deal from my POV.

We also have a SUSE internal instance of OpenMeetings at
http://137.65.69.121:5080/openmeetings/
Drawback: it requires Flash. Performance is not as good as Hangouts.

Yep, we have tested this with Ancor and, for instance Hangout scales the video according the current line bandwidth, in OM you have to set the video size. On the other hand, OM has quite "nice" playground for presentations, pictures, drawing, etc. That might be useful.

We could also install a Janus server and have something like this
http://janus.conf.meetecho.com/videomcutest.html
I based my last Hackweek project[1] on Janus and we did some test calls
with pretty decent results. We would have full control on the UI (it's
just some javascript).
Drawback: we need a machine in NUE or PRG to host the server.

We have a machine in PRG but do we want to maintain our own solution when someone could do it for us? I myself prefer using some whatever-party's tool to setting up and maintaining our own - everything takes time. That's the same as maintaining our own Jenkins. Yes, we have nodes, but that's it.

How this could work? I'd book some time in everyone's groupwise (1 hour
max per week) including a conference room with video system (if needed).
Then everyone could mention their theme on the weekly call or via
mailing-list and when will the brainstorming happen. Everyone could
decide whether to join (or not).

Would it help with your issues?

Yes, I think so.

Good, so let's take the best of it :)

It would definitely work for me. Would
it also work for you? Other ideas? How is this being done in other teams
or in other companies?

In the former openSUSE team we used Google Hangout in a quite
spontaneous way. We had (and still have) a fixed virtual room (actually
a hangout event planned for 2018) and we used the diary stand-up meeting
or IRC to coordinate meetings there whenever needed. It was the logical
and natural step after using the same room everyday for the stand-up
meetings.

Fixed virtual room in Hangout? How? That could be helpful for Yast team as well.

BTW, seeing each other in our status calls would be nice too :)

Thanks!
Lukas

SLE Department, SUSE Linux