Re: [yast-devel] Fail fast at Travis?
On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 15:09:01 +0100
Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss one Travis feature here.

Currently all Travis steps described in .travis.yml are executed
regardless whether something fails or not.

The problem is that if any step in the middle fails then it's quite
hard to find the issue as the logs are usually very long.
For example the yast2 log has over 4500 lines [1].

Is possible to have it less verbose? all traversing dirs looks
useless for me.

The question is whether we want to switch to the fail fast principle
[2], so the Travis build would stop at the first failure and you
could easily find it at the end of the log. (Travis does not support
failing fast out of box, but there is a workaround for this [3].)

Current state (always run all steps)

+ can find multiple issues in a single run

this is quite good with rubocop, as it is good to find problem in style
and test together.

- too long log for finding the issues

I think in general we should find way how to reduce log length

- may report false positives for dependent steps
(e.g. if compilation fails then obviously the tests fail too)

not much often in yast I think

- longer build times

Travis ones, so not a problem for us :)

Fail fast

+ easy to find the failure
+ failed builds finish faster
- you can only see/fix one issue at a time, more iterations for
fixing all issues is needed (e.g. you fix a rubocop style issue, but
then the testsuite does not pass, after fixing it the install step
fails because of a missing change in Makefile... each fix means a new
commit and a new build)

Also setting set -x can have some side effects that is not expected. in
general we should try to have short log if it succeed and long if
failed. maybe it is just small tunning of commands?

What do you think about it? Should we change the Travis behavior?

In general I am fine with current behavior, just succeed command should
not have so much log lines.

Josef