Re: [yast-devel] Yast and Rubocop? 80 columns
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 11:27:08 +0100
On 12/01/2014 11:22 AM, Ladislav Slezak wrote:
Dne 1.12.2014 v 10:01 Martin Vidner napsal(a):
- Limit lines to 80 characters.
https://github.com/bbatsov/ruby-style-guide#80-character-limits

Unfortunately there is no rationale for it or any details why...

[...]
https://github.com/yast/yast-yast2/commit/b3ff10aebd39aa0a446e6d7004fbe5821ec05f91

As you can see, you cannot see the text because the GitHub formatting cuts
it
off. (On my 1920 pixel wide display, the diff viewport is 820 pixels no
matter
how I resize the browser window.) I solved it by applying the style guide
rule
and made it fit to 80 columns, since I was editing the text anyway.

I have tested it [1] and GitHub is able to display about 110-115 characters
per line (depending on the browser, in chrome I could see 111 characters, in
Firefox
115, but might depend on available fonts, display resolution etc...)

So from the GitHub POV the practical limit seems to be 110 characters.

Independently from GitHub (just the tool we are using today), 100 sounds
like a reasonable hard limit. It's already 25% more than the agreed 80
soft* limit.

Cheers.

* Soft meaning "no Rubocop fatal error" no "feel free to ignore".

--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH