Re: [yast-devel] Yast and Rubocop? 80 columns
On 1.12.2014 10:01, Martin Vidner wrote:
A practical example that I encountered last week:

https://github.com/yast/yast-yast2/commit/b3ff10aebd39aa0a446e6d7004fbe5821ec05f91

As you can see, you cannot see the text because the GitHub
formatting cuts it off. (On my 1920 pixel wide display, the diff
viewport is 820 pixels no matter how I resize the browser window.)
I solved it by applying the style guide rule and made it fit to 80
columns, since I was editing the text anyway.

If not "80 columns", what rule should we use, if any?

1. Use common sense

2. IMO 80 columns should be a recommendation not a hard-stop

3. Sometimes it makes sense to have more than 80 columns, obviously, as
we now use GitHub, it might make sense to "limit" number of columns
to fit the tool view. Although this sounds a little bit illogically
:)

In other words: 80 is NTH, not REQ

Bye
Lukas

Cloud & Systems Management Department, SUSE Linux