Re: [yast-devel] Yast and Rubocop? 80 columns
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 11:29:57AM +0100, Martin Vidner wrote:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 05:29:50PM +0100, Ladislav Slezak wrote:
Dne 25.11.2014 v 13:27 Josef Reidinger napsal(a):

Ok, that's probably too much... What about 120? Personally I think the 80
chars limit does not make much sense with wide screen LCDs anymore...

wide screen LCD do not help you in textmode with 80 chars width terminal.
Also
it is not so easy to get code that is on so long line. In general need
for such
long line is code smell :)

OK, I limited the length to 100 and fixed few longer lines. Going down to
80 is not that easy, rubocop reports 320 errors...

Yes, for existing code which uses too many too long lines we may
need to relax a bit, but in general, let me quote
https://github.com/SUSE/style-guides/blob/master/Ruby.md#code-layout

Suppose there is an advantage when using longer lines, e.g. there
are less lines or the formatting is just "nicer". Then the 80
columns rule comes at a cost for developers having a "modern"
environment.

The "rationale" in the coding style surely avoids such balancing
and thus should just be burned.

Regards,
Arvin

--