Re: [yast-devel] GUI for services management
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:54:37 +0100
On 11/26/2014 09:27 AM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:48:41 +0100

c) Server is running and “start when booting” is not marked
Ask the user if they would like to stop the server now.
If they decide to keep it running, reload the server.

Why? If server running then simply reload it. Or do you think it is
common use case to run old server and wait with reload to next boot?

That's exactly the point which started the whole usability discussion.
Currently when you configure the server as disabled ("manually" radio
button) and you click "ok", the running server is stopped. We got a bug
report about it and I agree is unexpected to me. But turns out that is
implemented in that way to meet expectations from some users.

So the point in (c) is not whether to keep server running with the old
configuration (as you can see in (b) that's never an option). The point
is whether disabling should mean stopping the currently running service.

[...]

As you may guess from my comments I do not prefer to ask user to
something unless it is really critical like that computer will explode
or if beer getting warm.

I'd normally agree. But the problem with this approach is that several
fields and field combinations has proved to be understood in different
ways by different users. Ken's solution was to add extra checks. I think
it makes sense even if I usually dislike pop-ups.

Cheers.

--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH