Re: [yast-devel] First prototype of yast-journal
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:56:50 +0100

A first prototype of the systemd journal reading module is available
at: https://github.com/ancorgs/yast-journal

It still does not include a Rakefile, so you'll have to do something
like this to play with it.
Y2DIR=src/ /usr/sbin/yast2 journal

It took me a little bit longer than expected because:
- I have been going back and forward with the UI
design/implementation.
- I tried to mimic ActiveRecord as much as possible when querying the
journal. Turns out it was not a brilliant decision (as stated in
the comments of the SystemdJournal::Query class).

I'm sure the code contains a lot of newbie mistakes (specially in the
UI part) so let's find them all before we start writing a tutorial
with that code as a base :-)

I implemented the classes for retrieving and processing the journal
entries as pure ruby classes living in /lib. But I'm not sure if it's
a good decision. Wouldn't it be better to implement them as a module
so it can be accessed from other programming languages?

There are still a lot of usability problems and I still need a way to
make all this information visible [1], but it's just the first
prototype. I'm more worried right now about the architecture (lib vs
module) and the libyui usage mistakes/patterns.

[1]
https://github.com/ancorgs/yast-journal/blob/master/src/lib/systemd_journal/entry.rb

Cheers.

Can you make pull request of code to somewhere, so I can easier comment
it?

Thanks
Josef