Re: [yast-devel] Storage Redesign
On 14.11.2014 16:49, Arvin Schnell wrote:
So far the only other project I know of using libstorage in some
CIM provider. But even there I haven't heard of for some years.

"Another" libstorage users via Yast Storage:

- Installation
- Upgrade
- Bootloader
- Network (decision based on storage type)
- Software (Windows partition, space calculations, USB-based media)
- AutoYast
- NFS Client
- S390
- Country (Windows Partition)
- REIPL
- Multipath
- ReaR
- Kdump
- Registration
- Live Installer
- AddOns (floppies)
- Tune
- iSCSI Client(?)
- FCoE Client(?)

These should be taken into consideration even when designing lower level API. All of them have a bit or completely different requirements and use-cases.

This can't be achieved without open discussion with all the involved
parties. And this is actually how I understand Arvin's e-mail and this

I think discussing a API should start with a proposal. Maybe I
can present something in a few weeks.

That's one way, another way is getting the overview first and then making a proposal. Some might even not remember they use Storage for something.

Anyway, making a proposal and checking whether it fits all needs is good as well.

Thanks
Lukas

Cloud & Systems Management Department, SUSE Linux