Re: [yast-devel] YaST module for journalctl
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 16:02:59 +0100
On 11/19/2014 03:15 PM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:06:16 +0100

On 11/19/2014 10:23 AM, Lukas Ocilka wrote:

- cooperate with UI/UX expert(s), I'll have a chat with Ken soon to
find out how we could find some possibility of cooperation

Yes. I have started with some UI mockups. I though that doing them in
libyui would be almost as fast as simply drawing them. I obviously
overestimated my skills after 10 years without programming any GUI
application. :-)

After some hours, I finally have something that resembles what I have
in mind (enough to get the idea, I hope)

http://paste.opensuse.org/35073071
http://paste.opensuse.org/15368649

Feedback is appreciated.

ncurses screenshot missing time range, which for me looks containing too
much stuff.

DateField and TimeField are not available in ncurses mode.

In general it looks too crowded and there is too much control on page
and not so much space for messages.
I think it will be better to have here only two buttons:
refresh ( load new log entries )
filter ( specify filter by time and source )

I agree is too cluttered. Moving the filters to a dialog looks like a
good idea, but always combined with a sentence explaining the current
active filter. Something like:

"
Displaying log entries for all sources since system boot [Change...]
"

Sentences with "moving parts" are usually tricky for i18n, but more
intuitive.

( notice that there is no "OK" button, as I think that X for close is
enough )

Yes, that was a leftover from copypaste. :-)

and having almost all space for table with log entries, because it is
the most important information.

About that, there is something else I'm struggling with. For each log
entry we could also have a detailed version[1]. I'm not sure whether
display it in a dialog (when double-clicking in the table row) or
whether reserve some space in the interface below the table to display
details about the selected row (like we do in sw_single with the
packages). I prefer the first because it saves space for the list.

more like this tools:
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/000001-100000/75001-80000/75001-76000/75730.tif/_jcr_content/renditions/75730.jpg
http://www.kiwisyslog.com/kiwiSysLog/media/images/products/LogViewer/carousel/Log-Viewer-Log-File.jpg?width=800&height=560&ext=.jpg
http://www.netupd8.com/w8img/972p7d.jpg

BTW coloring log entries according to its importance would be nice.

Maybe, but you don't want me to choose the colors :-)

Cheers.

[1] To see what I mean, run "journalctl -n1 -o json-pretty"
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH