Re: [yast-devel] Support for RedHat/Devian based Linux
Dne 19.11.2014 v 08:22 Josef Reidinger napsal(a):
On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:30:10 -0500 "Jorge F. Hernandez" <jfha73@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hey guys,

Would you consider adding YaST to https://build.opensuse.org and if it is
already there, can you add RedHat, Fedora, CentOS and even Devian based
Linux to
the targets?

We build some Ubuntu packages at YaST:Head:Travis [1] OBS project,
but these packages are used at Travis CI (see e.g. [2]) for running tests
which simulate the system access so we do not need the modules to really
work in Ubuntu, we just need the Yast infrastructure there.

You can install the Yast packages in Ubuntu 12.04, but that's all what you can
do
right now. There is no UI library packaged for Ubuntu and the modules would very
likely not work anyway. They could even completely mess up the system into an
unusable state.

(So if you want to play with it a VM is the preferred playground...)

We already build YaST on Build Service [1]. It is also possible to build it
for
other distribution, but as there is many differences and in past there is no
interest to bring YaST there, YaST probably won't work out of box on such
distributions.

Yes, the problem is that the distributions differ to much - different packaging
(deb vs. rpm), package names, package versions, file locations, system scripts,
system services (systemd vs initd vs upstart), gcc and Ruby versions, etc...

Unfortunately we do not have resources to support other distributions,
sometimes we have problems to keep up with changes in our Factory...

We would need help from the community to make Yast usable in other distros.
We welcome any patches sent, but we are unable to actively support
anything beyond openSUSE and SLE.

[1] https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/YaST:Head:Travis
[2] https://travis-ci.org/yast/yast-packager

--