Re: [yast-devel] Storage Redesign
On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 04:09:20PM +0100, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
On 10.11.2014 11:29, Arvin Schnell wrote:
- Finally drop target-map (as decided during workshop).

That will be great step especially together with object oriented API.
Then we can have something like Disk.find( bios_id:
"0x80").find_partition(mount_to: "/boot").sw_raid? in bootloader.

Well, I'm not used to such a "find" API so I cannot say whether
it will like that way.

Also so far libstorage does not know the bios-id, hwinfo provides
that informations and it's "merged" in Ruby into the target-map.

I'd like if the new API was designed to suit as much as possible to its
users, such as Installer, Updater, Bootloader, Storage and maybe even some
other SUSE products. Simple to use and understandable to as many developers
as possible.

So far the only other project I know of using libstorage in some
CIM provider. But even there I haven't heard of for some years.

Apart from that I can remember ideas about using libstorage for
kiwi but I cannot say whether those came from development or
product management. Anyway, it would make the task more
complicated - although also more interesting.

This can't be achieved without open discussion with all the involved
parties. And this is actually how I understand Arvin's e-mail and this

I think discussing a API should start with a proposal. Maybe I
can present something in a few weeks.

Regards,
Arvin

--