Re: [yast-devel] RFC: New rules for yast-maintainers
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 05:07:16PM +0100, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
Hi,

As Gabi has pointed-out today, we have a growing list of bugs reported for
Yast, assigned to the default assignee: yast-maintainers. Some of the bugs
cannot be fixed easily now as we do not have a single person who would take
care about "that particular module", "usability" or "design".

For me, this is a perfect way for fixing bugs in an agile way:
- Project manager decides what needs to be fixed and when
- We will find out who can fix or which expertise we need
- And we'll either assign these bugs to respective people in time or try to
find help outside

But we need to find a way how not to get lost in bugs assigned to
yast-maintainers. And there are several possibilities:

1. NEW bug needs to be checked and either reassigned or at least marked as
reviewed/confirmed
2. CONFIRMED bug should have a [yast2-*] in Summary, so we know it has been
reviewed already / or we could add new keyword e.g. "reviewed". The current
"Yast Maintainer" must make sure that summary describes the issue well
3. IN_PROGRESS should have a real assignee, this would need cooperation
with PjM/PM, so they set real priority
4. We will definitely not be able to fix all bugs, so there needs to be a
way to drop as CANTFIX/WONTFIX according to given criteria
5. Features should be closed as FEATURE and the reported advised to use
FATE.
6. Yast maintainer should take care only about bugs that haven't been
reviewed, for that a simple search should be possible (e.g.: doesn't
contain `reviewed` flag)

Please review, and/or come with better ideas. I know this is yet another
rule-set, maybe you'll have a better idea.

Once thing I currently dislike is the misuse of the title for
various flags. Maybe the "Whiteboard" can be used for that. It
would also make it less likely other people mess with our flags.

ciao
Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell@xxxxxxx>