[yast-devel] [RFC] Versioning: master vs SLE-12-GA branches
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 16:53:25 +0200
Hi,

At the beginning of August, Josef has created new SLE-12-GA maintenance branch for all Yast repositories at GitHub. At these days, we are still asked to fix $this or $that and push tose change into SLE 12 G*.

According to a mutual decision, we develop all fixes in SLE-12-GA branch and merge them into master regularly. From this point of view, both SLE-12 and master branches contain the same code. But they will most likely differ some day: we'll start adding new features and maybe some openSUSE-specific fixes into master only.

OK, finally to the point... We will need different versioning in SLE-12-GA than in master. In master, we currently use `3.1.$X`. Some day, we should start using 3.1.X.$Y in SLE-12-GA.

When should we switch from 3.1.$X to 3.1.X.$Y? There are two possibilities:

* immediately, even if we still do the very same changes
in both branches - we would need to change the version when
merging to master

* when they start to differ - we need to keep this in mind all the
time and we might forget because it's hard to think in advance:
does master have already something else that will not be in the
SLE-12-GA branch? Does it already differ?

So, what do you think is better and why?

Thanks in advance
Lukas

Cloud & Systems Management Department, SUSE Linux