Re: [yast-devel] RFC: Creation of SLE-12-GA maintenance branch
On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 09:25:56 +0200
Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 30.9.2014 13:43, Josef Reidinger wrote:
Hi,
I would like to introduce SLE-12 maintainance branch tomorrow on
wednesday 1.10. . I also would like to switch internal jenkins for
SLE-12 branch to submit to update repository, so it create
maintenance updates instead of submissions to SLE:12:GA.

Yes, please do.

As part of this step I would also like to create merge request of
SLE-12-GA branch and master with revert in master for Rakefile
change. This will allow us in future to easy do in master `git merge
origin/SLE-12-GA` to not forget any fixes made in SLE-12-GA.

To be honest, here I do not 100% understand what do you actually want
to do and why.

I want to use same work-flow as in SLMS or some YaST modules for
maintainance branches. Some usage is described here
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/VIVO/Git%3A+working+with+the+maintenance+branch

What I want to achive is easy way how to verify that all fixes in
maintainance branch get into master or newer maintenance branch.

When I want now see what commits are in Code-11 branch and not in
master I can do something like:
git log origin/master..origin/Code-11-SP1 # or without origin if your
local branches are up to date

as you can see it is quite useless as we usually cherry pick
differences so it is huge mess and very hard to see if we forgot some
fixes.

On other hand in bootloader I already use this approach for SLE-12-GA
branch ( and also in SLMS we use it ).

Result is that
git log origin/master..origin/SLE-12-GA
is empty as I merge all fixes for SLE-12 in master

if you are curious how it will look like, you can check commit before I
merge it:

git log 85a6de7..origin/SLE-12-GA

this shows that I miss three fixes in master, so I need to make
git checkout master
git pull
git merge origin/SLE-12-GA

solve conflicts ( usually changes file and version in spec )
and commit it.
And time to celebrate, we do not miss any fix made for GA.

I think it is very important if we want to use master for SP1 to be
sure we do not miss any fix for GA.

So to summary changes will be:
1) switch internal jenkins to work on branch SLE-12-GA ( there is
currently no clear target for master branch in IBS - so I add new
jobs for branch and disable ones for master branch )

IBS / Master => SLE 12 SP1, but we can base it on SUSE:SLE-12:Update
now as there is not SP1 yet

Problem is that jenkins try to submit there, which is not good idea :)

2) create all packages in
https://build.suse.de/project/show/Devel:YaST:SLE-12

What about Devel:YaST:SLE-12:Update to be compatible with
SUSE:SLE-12:Update in IBS?

It is possible, but I want to keep it simple and short as sometimes you
need to write it :)

3) create maintenance branch for all packages + create revert
commit in master as described above

Any objections?

Just the "revert commit"

I hope I explained it. We can discuss it in person if something is not
clear, as I start with creating branch already ( current status is that
river is switched to new branch ).

Josef

Thanks
Lukas