Re: [yast-devel] SLE12 GIT branch?
On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 10:46:05 +0200
Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 08:53:49AM +0200, Ladislav Slezak wrote:
I'd like to start a discussion about creating the SLE12 branch in
Git repositories.

The basic questions are:

- When should we create the branch? Do you need it already now?

Michal, Lada, and Lukas don't need it.

Pepa mentioned yast2-core, but more importantly yast2-bootloader:
openSUSE has a freeze before the SLE release!

- Should we create the branches globally or should we leave that on
the respective maintainers?

It's not that simple. I think that waiting for a global switch is
not possible because of openSUSE requirements, and leaving switches
to individuals means we end up with a mess.

I think reasonable solution is to create script to do such switch on
individual branch and who need it can use it and who do not, then can
wait for global, that run it on everything. Is this reasonable solution?

Current policy, for all packages:

The internal Jenkins submits master to SLE12,
for all packages.

Unless it is explicitelly overwritten in Rakefile, which is what I plan
to do in given branches.

We should pick one or a couple of packages as pilots for the new
policy:

The internal Jenkins submits $BRANCH to SLE12,
and does not care(?) about master".

It is quite simple switch on which branch jenkins operate, nothing
more. Ideally it copy previous task and just change branch tag.

Then announce which packages are in the pilot, implement that, fix
bugs. Later, clearly communicate when other individual
packages adopt the policy as needed, and when all the rest do (SLE
release).

agree.

What will the branch name be? I propose Code-12.

I do not agree, as it is in fact not base for Code-12 as Lukas
mentioned above. It is just branch for maintenance of SLE-12-GA, so not
whole Code-12...so I propose SLE-12-GA branch name.

Josef