Re: [yast-devel] What to do with bugs for unmaintained modules?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:37:28 +0200
Josef Reidinger wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:09:11 +0200
Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Josef Reidinger wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 19:20:38 +0200
Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there a way of getting more of the community involved in YaST?
We have some very knowledgeable people, but YaST tends to stay
"off the radar" for many. If you don't mind, I'll change your
last sentence - it's vitally important for openSUSE that Yast
survives.

Well, anyone from community can run yast-maintainers query
( http://bit.ly/1BaCYcl ). It is maybe more our question for
community what obstacles they see in yast development. We can only
guess and we try to open it as much as we can ( ycp -> ruby, public
IRC, github with pull requests, pull request reminder, etc. ). So
it would be nice if such knowledgeable people tell us what they see
as obstacle to more involvment in yast development.

What I meant was - it needs a bit of advertising to get the community
involved. YaST has always been a SUSE/openSUSE internal thing, it's
probably not something most people consider working on or
contributing to.

Can you be more specific advertising where? on conferences? in press?
or maybe better web page about YaST itself?

I was thinking of "advertising" in the community - on the mailing lists,
in the fora. Make it known that YaST is also a community project, and
is looking for contributors (maybe with specific modules mentioned).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.0°C)