Re: [yast-devel] What to do with bugs for unmaintained modules?
On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 19:20:38 +0200
Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lukas Ocilka wrote:

On 11.8.2014 17:13, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
Hi,

there's quite some bugs in yast2-maintainers for modules without
official maintainer.

Instead of asking around, trying the previous maintainer, or the
unlucky last patch submitter I suggest to prepend [MODULE_NAME] to
the subject and leave the bug in yast2-maintainers. And everyone
looking for something to do
and/or feeling responsible in this area can pick it up and assign
to him/herself.

What do you think?

I'm looking at it from a bit different point of view, but your
suggested solution would work.

In the old times, we had quite some developers and everyone had
several modules to maintain. These people are away now and we will
most probably not have the same number of developers anymore. In the
old times, bugs have waited for these developers to come back from
vacation, hospital, etc.

How I'd like to see it in the future, is a bit more agile way:
Almost anyone can fix almost any code, especially if the API is
clean, variables have understandable names, methods are
self-explanatory, etc. This is the way we should go. And using code
reviews helps that a lot. Obviously, we need experts for this and
that as nobody can understand everything, but well-defined API
hides the complexity.

We will be losing people and also getting new. This model of giving
all your modules to someone else when leaving can't work, but the
new model already works well in some areas. That's also one of the
reasons why we have to refactor and cleanup the code a bit
everytime we touch it.

Steffen, your proposal IMO works even for what I think that we
should be targeting. These vertical silos have to be replaced with
horizontal approach. It's vitally important for Yast to survive in
the 21st century.

Is there a way of getting more of the community involved in YaST? We
have some very knowledgeable people, but YaST tends to stay "off the
radar" for many. If you don't mind, I'll change your last sentence -
it's vitally important for openSUSE that Yast survives.

Well, anyone from community can run yast-maintainers query
( http://bit.ly/1BaCYcl ). It is maybe more our question for community
what obstacles they see in yast development. We can only guess and we
try to open it as much as we can ( ycp -> ruby, public IRC, github with
pull requests, pull request reminder, etc. ). So it would be nice if
such knowledgeable people tell us what they see as obstacle to more
involvment in yast development.

Josef