Re: [yast-devel] What to do with bugs for unmaintained modules?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 19:20:38 +0200
Lukas Ocilka wrote:

On 11.8.2014 17:13, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
Hi,

there's quite some bugs in yast2-maintainers for modules without
official maintainer.

Instead of asking around, trying the previous maintainer, or the
unlucky last patch submitter I suggest to prepend [MODULE_NAME] to
the subject and leave the bug in yast2-maintainers. And everyone
looking for something to do
and/or feeling responsible in this area can pick it up and assign to
him/herself.

What do you think?

I'm looking at it from a bit different point of view, but your
suggested solution would work.

In the old times, we had quite some developers and everyone had
several modules to maintain. These people are away now and we will
most probably not have the same number of developers anymore. In the
old times, bugs have waited for these developers to come back from
vacation, hospital, etc.

How I'd like to see it in the future, is a bit more agile way: Almost
anyone can fix almost any code, especially if the API is clean,
variables have understandable names, methods are self-explanatory,
etc. This is the way we should go. And using code reviews helps that a
lot. Obviously, we need experts for this and that as nobody can
understand everything, but well-defined API hides the complexity.

We will be losing people and also getting new. This model of giving
all your modules to someone else when leaving can't work, but the new
model already works well in some areas. That's also one of the reasons
why we have to refactor and cleanup the code a bit everytime we touch
it.

Steffen, your proposal IMO works even for what I think that we should
be targeting. These vertical silos have to be replaced with horizontal
approach. It's vitally important for Yast to survive in the 21st
century.

Is there a way of getting more of the community involved in YaST? We
have some very knowledgeable people, but YaST tends to stay "off the
radar" for many. If you don't mind, I'll change your last sentence -
it's vitally important for openSUSE that Yast survives.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.7°C)