Re: [yast-devel] yast Mode.* variables
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:23:30 +0200
Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Dne 22.7.2014 11:54, Steffen Winterfeldt napsal(a):
Having just learned about the Mode.autoupgrade variable I did some
research and found a total of 12 instances of Mode.* (maybe I
missed some):

Mode.autoinst Mode.autoupgrade Mode.commandline Mode.config
Mode.installation Mode.live_installation Mode.normal Mode.repair
Mode.screen_shot Mode.test Mode.testsuite Mode.update

I think they should not only be prominently documented but
preferably the number should be reduced.

I agree with reduction, I think these could be possibly removed:

Mode.repair - the repair module has been dropped completely, this
mode is dead and does not make sense anymore, it can be safely removed

[This sounds like a junior job, Ancor, Christopher, what do you think
about it? ;-)]

Mode.test, Mode.testsuite - I do not know the exact difference
between the two, but after switching to Ruby and Rspec we can easily
mock any call so we should do not need these workarounds. The only
problem is with the old tests, but they should be (gradually)
rewritten to Rspec so eventually we could get rid of these modes...

Difference is that Mode.test include also "test" which is "demo". It
was ancient mode to demonstrate yast ability, but with some
differences. I think we can drop it.

Josef

Mode.screen_shot - used only at few places, I guess nobody use it or
even know that it exists or how to invoke it. It should be dropped.

Mode.commandline - could be also dropped but it might need some
essential changes in the Yast architecture, but after switch to Ruby
it should not be needed at all...

The easiest to drop are Mode.repair and Mode.screen_shot, I think
it's safe to remove them even now when we are in SLE12 RC phase...

--

Ladislav Slez√°k
Appliance department / YaST Developer