Re: [yast-devel] Moving stuff from /sbin /bin /lib /lib64 to /usr/*

Hello,

On Jul 9 11:56 Thomas Biege wrote (excerpt):
Am 08.07.2014 12:35, schrieb Johannes Meixner:
I would appreciate an authoritative "recommended default way" how
to set up a reasonably clean environment before calling programs as
root.

Is perhaps calling "su - root" a reasonable way?

I am not sure what exactly you want to solve by
calling "su - root". I think I just miss the context.

I think the final goal is to "do something appropriate" in YaST
before it calls external programs to avoid "unexpected issues".

I am afraid, but I cannot describe it in more exact words.

I think what might be basically wanted is to run external programs
by YaST in the same way as if the user root would have called them
manually.

Because "man su" reads
-, -l, --login
Starts the shell as a login shell with an environment similar to a
real login:
o clears all the environment variables except TERM
o initializes the environment variables HOME, SHELL, USER,
LOGNAME, and PATH
o changes to the target user's home directory
o sets argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make the
shell a login shell
I asked if perhaps calling "su - root" in YaST before it calls
other external programs is a reasonable way to run them in the
same way as if the user root would have called them manually.

On the other hand I don't know if it is really wise to run
external programs by YaST in the same way as if the user root
would have called them manually because the user root in an
arbitrary real system "out there" may have whatever unexpected
settings like strange PATH or strange locale or whatever else.

Therefore it is perhaps better to explicitly set PATH, locale,
and whatever else to sane values as I attempt it currently via
# Make sure to have a clean environment:
export PATH="/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin"
export LC_ALL="POSIX"
export LANG="POSIX"
umask 022

Kind Regards