Re: [yast-devel] Yast Development after SLE 12: Why, What, How Much
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 01:48:42PM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:

For me success measurement is also how much developer worry that he
brake something. It usually is solved by tests and it can be measured -
https://github.com/mbj/mutant

So for me reasonable metrics on which we should focus for refactoring:

- test coverage + mutation testing ( to not scare modify code )
- file size ( noone want to read too long files, hard to search, hard
to test, hard to keep all dependencies )
- method size ( hard to understand method that do too much and also
hard to change it with keeping all stuff in mind )
- public interface size ( smaller better, provide good API, that do all
needed and not more, easier to keep things backward compatible ), in
converted code it is number of methods in publish, for new code
public methods on classes -

http://pdepend.org/documentation/software-metrics/number-of-public-methods.html

In general we can be inspired by already existing metrics, e.g. for
object oriented code -
http://agile.csc.ncsu.edu/SEMaterials/OOMetrics.htm

Please keep in mind that we have code in several languages,
e.g. Ruby, C++, Perl, Bash, Python, and also plain data,
e.g. XML.

Regards,
Arvin

--