Re: [yast-devel] y2m use cases
Dne 24.3.2014 18:23, Roman Neuhauser napsal(a):
hello,

i've started dabbling in yast-meta (y2m), and i'm curious how much of it
i can remove without stepping on anyone's toes. :)

* do you use y2m?

Not anymore.

* if you don't, why?

There were some bugs in the past (at the beginning) and I needed more
checkouts/branches and I needed to run specific git commands.

* if you do, how?
* do you have multiple checkouts? how do you workaround y2m's
nominal non-support for this?

Yes, I have multiple checkouts: master and SLE11-SP3 (i.e. the latest openSUSE,
the latest SLE). If I need another branch I either temporarily switch one of the checkout above or I create a copy if I need it for something not trivial.

As a workaround I have my own script [1] with specific changes for each
checkout/branch.

* do you have different subsets of repositories in different
checkouts?

Almost the same, except that some already dropped modules are still supported
in SLE11.

* do you use the FAV feature? how?

also:

* do you have some use cases y2m does not support?
what would be welcome additions?

- Ignore some obsoleted repositories (some YaST modules have been dropped but
we do not want to loose the history so the repos are not removed or they are
still
maintained in SLE11).

y2m supports favorite repos, you can list which repos you want to
clone/update.
I'd like to have the opposite, clone/update *everything except* few listed
repos.

This allows ignoring the old repos and automatically cloning the newly added
repos.

- Run a specified command in each Git checkout - I'm actually not sure if it is
supported by y2m, but sometimes I need it for mass changes in all supported
repos
(that's related to the previous item). The mass changes are usually global
grep/sed commands, creating new branches after product release globally,...

BTW Both features are supported by [1] ;-)

and:

* do we need y2m at all? maybe a bunch of submodules or subtrees
in yast-meta would work even better?

I'm not sure, I just heart that there are some problems when using submodules.

I actually do not know them much (never used so far), I do not know what advantages they could have for us. But for me a simple script would be sufficient I guess.

Thanks for opening the discussion!

[1] https://github.com/lslezak/scripts/blob/master/git/yast_sync.rb

--

Best Regards