Re: [yast-devel] skipped firstboot
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 17:09:27 -0500
Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2014-01-23 22:06 (GMT+0100) Josef Reidinger composed:

Hi Felix,
What version do you use? If factory, then new installation
work-flow do

I thought the forum title implied Factory. What yast development is
going on for distro version(s) already released?

You can be surprised how often people ask about recently released or
older release. So I just want to be sure.

not contain second stage (first boot). So it is correct that it do
not show and also that there is no work-flow. Intention is that
because majority of users use autoconfig, then configure it in
first stage and other can modify what they need using yast modules.
It also allows to install system with no yast on it, if someone
want it or want to manage configuration automatic e.g. via chef or
puppet.

I saw recent mention that stage 2 was no longer, but misunderstood
what stage 2 was, and for that matter what yast2-firstboot is about.
I thought stage 2 had to do with loading the installation system, not
to with the installation process once begun. Now I know I'm no longer
supposed to expect to see a yast2 GUI doing whatever it used to do on
first boot and just go right to the login manager.

To explain it. Installation used to have two parts. First one is
install rpms, partitioning and what is done before reboot/kexec. Second
part is firstboot, which configure system after during its first boot
and you do not need DVD for it as it just run predefined yast modules
on installed system.

yast2-firstboot is needed if you use autoyast, because to preserve
autoyast behavior you need to do configuration in modules that is not
available in inst-sys on DVD, so firstboot run only for autoyast now.

Josef