Re: [yast-devel] yast2-apparmor
On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 03:27:51 +0530
Kshitij Gupta <kgupta8592@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 01:06:51 +0100
Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

Hi Christian,

Hello,

large parts of the YaST2 AppArmor module were removed in openSUSE
13.1.

Nevertheless, a quick grep on the source shows that it's still
using the Immunix::* perl modules a lot. Are those code sections
active, or do they contain disabled / commented out / unused code?

Yes, it is still used. Apparmor yast module was written by immunix
itself and in quite strange way, where almost all logic is in agents
which is written in perl. And these agents communicate with UI.

The reason why I'm asking: upstream AppArmor is switching to
python (for the tools like aa-logprof etc.), which also means the
perl modules won't see too much maintenance ;-)

Well, that is bad as we currently do not have resources to adapt it
to python. But if there is volunteer I can explain how it works and
what needs to be done. Also some UI polishing would be great.

I've worked on the Python version of tools (with lots of help from
Christian and other AppArmor devs) and we've been thinking about
getting the YaST UI with the new tools.

I would love to adapt the code-base for use with new tools and it
would be great if you could help in any way (Specially on how and
where do I get started ;-) ).

Great to know it.
At first I recommend quick introduction on code organization -
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST:_Code_Organization so you know
where to find various stuff. Tricky part is that appamor modul was
written by immunix and is not common. The most of its functionality
lies in agent itself ( so agent aren't simple shell runner or binding
to library, but contain a lot of logic ).
So it depends on you if you want to start from top ( then start with
clients -
https://github.com/yast/yast-apparmor/blob/master/src/clients/apparmor.rb
) or from backend ( then start with agents in
https://github.com/yast/yast-apparmor/tree/master/src/servers_non_y2 ).

I am willing to help you as I can. You can write here or if you see me
on IRC, just ask there.

Josef

P.S. one inspiration can be yast2-cluster which also use agents in
python -
https://github.com/yast/yast-cluster/blob/master/src/servers_non_y2/ag_openais

Regards,

Kshitij Gupta

Therefore it would be good to know if the Immunix::* perl modules
are still needed by YaST.

yes, see above

Josef

Regards,