Re: [yast-devel] YaST module documentation
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:28:05 +0100
Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:08:48 +0100

On 11/28/2013 03:28 PM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 15:21:39 +0100
Nanuk Krinner <nkrinner@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for documentation or a guide on how to write a yast
module. Is there anything available? Or is there a module you'd
recommend to look at first?

Regards,
Nanuk

Hi Nanuk,
welcome to yast development.
For documentation there is some ancient parts available at [1] but
after conversion to ruby big part of it is no longer valid. We
plan to make new documentation which we start at [2], but it is
far from complete now. For modules that you can take as example I
recommend yast2-services-manager that is new module to handle
systemd services and do not use deprecated stuff from ycp
conversion[3]. There is plan to write one more new module, but it
is not yet started. If you have any questions feel free to ask
us, we can then update documentation to include all important
stuff. Also we can point you to more specific document that
describe part in which you are interested in.

A very useful advise Josef gave me when I was going to start my own
module some days ago (I'm just copying and pasting his words):

"It is important to understand at start directory structure under
src initial mapping is at
https://github.com/yast/ycp-killer/#new-yast-module-structure but it
miss explanation. In general the most important are modules (which
is singleton holder and provider of shared functionality), clients
(scripts called to perform action), include (old deprecated way to
include shared code) and new lib (which is common ruby code here).
If you plan to write something from scratch I recommend to use only
clients and lib, having common ruby modules, classes etc in lib and
clients which you plan to run in clients."

This paragraph should be somewhere, was really useful to me.

Cheers.

Hi Ancor,
in fact I am just working on wiki page with this structure in spare
time between NI dev&testing, so hopefully It will be public soon.

Josef

And initial version [1]. It is wiki, so feel free to improve it, extend
it or ask me if something is not clear, so I can make it better for
other developers.

Josef

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST:_Code_Organization