Re: [yast-devel] YaST module documentation
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:08:48 +0100

On 11/28/2013 03:28 PM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 15:21:39 +0100
Nanuk Krinner <nkrinner@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for documentation or a guide on how to write a yast
module. Is there anything available? Or is there a module you'd
recommend to look at first?

Regards,
Nanuk

Hi Nanuk,
welcome to yast development.
For documentation there is some ancient parts available at [1] but
after conversion to ruby big part of it is no longer valid. We plan
to make new documentation which we start at [2], but it is far from
complete now. For modules that you can take as example I recommend
yast2-services-manager that is new module to handle systemd services
and do not use deprecated stuff from ycp conversion[3]. There is
plan to write one more new module, but it is not yet started. If
you have any questions feel free to ask us, we can then update
documentation to include all important stuff. Also we can point you
to more specific document that describe part in which you are
interested in.

A very useful advise Josef gave me when I was going to start my own
module some days ago (I'm just copying and pasting his words):

"It is important to understand at start directory structure under src
initial mapping is at
https://github.com/yast/ycp-killer/#new-yast-module-structure but it
miss explanation. In general the most important are modules (which is
singleton holder and provider of shared functionality), clients
(scripts called to perform action), include (old deprecated way to
include shared code) and new lib (which is common ruby code here). If
you plan to write something from scratch I recommend to use only
clients and lib, having common ruby modules, classes etc in lib and
clients which you plan to run in clients."

This paragraph should be somewhere, was really useful to me.

Cheers.

Hi Ancor,
in fact I am just working on wiki page with this structure in spare
time between NI dev&testing, so hopefully It will be public soon.

Josef