Re: [yast-devel] Ideas for YaST Hackweek project
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 19:03:38 +0100

On 11/04/2013 11:09 AM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:45:04 +0100

As some of you may be aware of, openSUSE Team members were not
able to take part in the last Hackweek because we were working in
the 13.1 release. It has been decided that we will have our own
Hackweek the last week of November. I would really like to do
something related to YaST, so this is a call for ideas for my YaST
related Hackweek project.

I have more than 10 years of experience with Ruby. I started using
it for developing management applications with QtRuby3. At some
point I started using Rails and since then I have become more and
more a web developer. YaST looks like the perfect choice for my
Hackweek: I can do what I do best (coding Ruby) staying away from
Rails, CSS, etc.

So, is there something that needs to be done, that fits in one week
and that requires some Ruby knowledge and not so much knowledge
about YaST internals/legacy?

Cheers

Hi ancor,
we are really glad that you want to hack on YaST. From your
requirements it is not so easy to decide exact part as whole yast
codebase is automatic transpiled, so it contain some tricky parts to
not loose any functionality. Few ideas I have in mind where your
experiences would really help:

- write really nice example rspec test suite on real module.
Members of YaST team already try it, but noone have so big ruby
experience and it would be nice to compare it.

- Look at libyui and its attempts for ruby bindings [1,2] and move
it forward, because current way where it goes to Yast terms and
then to libyui is not much nice. Or you can propose any other
reasonable API for creating UI for all supported GUI/TUI ( gtk, qt,
ncurses ).

- Improve access system. Currently we use SCR[3] with its agents
which seems little outdated when you compare it with other
solutions. You can improve current one or propose new API which
make sense and we can implement various backends for it ( current
agents for some tasks, augeas for others, etc. )

All those ideas about improving bindings, testing are APIs looks
perfect for a second stage, once I have become familiar with YaST
development. I'm really willing to help in those areas, but first I
need a more "introductory" Hackweek project. Proposing the right
approach without having experience with the problem sounds too
ambitious to me.

OK, then I propose to just try module you are interested in and try to
improve it. There is always a lot of stuff that can be improved.

- Take simple module and make it nice module that looks like real
ruby that is intuitive for ruby programmer. I recommend to choose
module that is not so hard or where you know how to setup given
component, so you understand what happen here.

I have a reasonable knowledge and some interest in sound systems,
Samba, Linux containers and databases. Is any of those areas looking
for some more love?

All yast modules looking for some more love, so feel free to try any of
them and improve it. Often simple run of module and try to configure
something show some weak points which you can improve.
Few info I get from office to your interested modules:

yast-sound - in fact it is not much used today as common sound card is
configured automatic

yast-samba* - ask samba team if they need improvement or try to use it.
I heard e.g. from thorsten that it sometimes doesn't work, so you can
try to improve it.

yast-lxc - its maintainer doesn't know about any missing feature, but
feel free to try to use it and improve it

for databases we drop our last database module yast-mysql-server as
noone is interested in it. So if you want maintain it and think it make
sense, feel free to revert last commit and become maintainer of it. And
of course this module need a lot of love.

- Alternative is that you can choose part of configuration that is
not yet covered by yast and write new module that looks like real
ruby and report any obstacle you have ( we try to improve
documentation, make some shortcuts or facades, but there is still
lot of work ).

- As I write above you cna also improve documentation, try to fix
the most annoying bugs, etc. but it usually require some problem
specific knowledge

If you choose any idea or have your own, do not hesitate to contact
us here or on IRC freenode#yast. It would be also nice if you can
write at the end report what obstacles you see as contributor, so
we can try to remove it.

Yes, of course. That would be one of the main goals, in fact.

Great, I am looking forward for your feedback. I already know some weak
points, but you can show what new comers see as the most paintful.

Josef

Cheers.