Re: [yast-devel] Ideas for YaST Hackweek project
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 15:59:20 +0100
On 11/04/2013 11:09 AM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:45:04 +0100

As some of you may be aware of, openSUSE Team members were not able to
take part in the last Hackweek because we were working in the 13.1
release. It has been decided that we will have our own Hackweek the
last week of November. I would really like to do something related to
YaST, so this is a call for ideas for my YaST related Hackweek
project.

I have more than 10 years of experience with Ruby. I started using it
for developing management applications with QtRuby3. At some point I
started using Rails and since then I have become more and more a web
developer. YaST looks like the perfect choice for my Hackweek: I can
do what I do best (coding Ruby) staying away from Rails, CSS, etc.

So, is there something that needs to be done, that fits in one week
and that requires some Ruby knowledge and not so much knowledge about
YaST internals/legacy?

Cheers

Hi ancor,
we are really glad that you want to hack on YaST. From your
requirements it is not so easy to decide exact part as whole yast
codebase is automatic transpiled, so it contain some tricky parts to
not loose any functionality. Few ideas I have in mind where your
experiences would really help:

- write really nice example rspec test suite on real module. Members of
YaST team already try it, but noone have so big ruby experience and
it would be nice to compare it.

Just to keep the expectations in the right level. When I said "I have
more than 10 years of experience with Ruby" sounds like coding in Ruby
code have been my main activity during 10 years, which is not true. It
was back then, 10 years ago. But then I gradually started to spend more
time in other tasks. During the last four years, I have only devoted 20%
(or less) of my time to real coding. So most likely, your knowledge is
way more up to date than mine.

[...]

--
Ancor González Sosa