Re: [yast-devel] YaST installer - the future development (for 13.2/SLE12, aka "the new installer")
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:04:04 -0400
Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09/27/2013 09:41 AM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:37:50 -0400
Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

On 09/26/2013 02:07 PM, Ladislav Slezak wrote:

Hi all,

The SUSE YaST team started developing some major YaST features for
SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (SLE12) installer and we would like to
include these features in
the next openSUSE-13.2 release.

The features are mainly about making the installer easier and to
simplify the
installation workflow.

We will not create a completely new installer from scratch (that
would need too much
time and manpower), we will reuse the existing functionality as
much as possible,
the current installation framework is quite flexible (e.g. the
installation steps are
defined in external control.xml file).

Here is the summary of the main goals:

- Remove the second installation stage (started after reboot),
configure the system
completely just in one stage, after finishing the installer
the freshly installed
system must be ready to use.

- It should be possible to NOT install the Yast installer itself
into the target
system to make it smaller (except when firstboot or some
complex AutoYast
setup is used, then the installer will be needed).

- Separate the installer into 3 basic steps (collect data,
install, apply config),
make the steps replaceable by 3rd party applications.

- It should be possible to use the installer just for configuring
the installation
and exporting the setup into a file (without performing the
actual installation).
The exported file could be then used to install other
system(s). (Like AutoYast
does, the new installer will contain some AutoYast
functionality).

- It should be possible to alternatively deploy already existing
appliance image
(provided by user) instead of installing from RPMs.

- Simplify the installation workflow, auto-configure what's
possible, advanced
setup (NIS, LDAP, Kerberos...) should be done in installed
system.

Hmm auto configuration is nice, but we should keep in mind that we
probably should not take away the opportunity to manually configure
things, such as the network for example. Today there is an
autoconfiguration for DHCP, but the user can set it to manual
configuration and set up the network as needed.

Later,
Robert

Well, when we discussing it, we agreed that for network if DHCP is
find, then use it and if it is not find, then allow user to
configure it. Usual work-flow is that DHCP is set and it is just
used, so do not bother user with network configuration if we can
use what dhcp gives us.

But just because there is a DHCP server that does not necessarily
imply that for a particular install the user wants to use it. Yes,
one can argue that this is a corner case, but having a checkbox as it
is today that allows the user to set "configure the network manually"
is hardly "bothering the user", IMHO.

Later,
Robert

Well,
we plan to involve designer into this part, so we can add it in some
non-intrusive way ( I hope ).

Josef