Re: [yast-devel] YaST installer - the future development (for 13.2/SLE12, aka "the new installer")

Hello,

I think I need to make it more clear:

On Sep 27 15:49 Johannes Meixner wrote (excerpt):

What I meant with "fully separated programs" was
"fully separated at development time"
(i.e. fully separated program source files).

It won't help when there are separated program source files
which are compiled into one big all-in-one installer where
its 3 basic steps (collect data, install, apply config)
communicate with each other via internal mechanisms.

What I like to point out is that I think the YaST core team
implementation of the installer's 3 basic steps should be
of same design as a 3rd party would do it.

I think the YaST core team should not behave as if it was
a party of special kind (some kind of "first class citizen"
and the rest of the world is only "second-class citizen").

I think this is needed to ensure that the YaST core team
implementation of the installer's 3 basic steps is 100%
compatible with 3rd party applications that could replace them.

Assume there are many different 3rd parties who each
provide their own implementations for the 3 basic steps:

collect-data.party1 ... collect-data.partyN
install.party1 ... install.partyN
apply-config.party1 ... apply-config.partyN

The YaST core team implementation should be just one of those parties.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner