Re: [yast-devel] optimization opportunities in the ycp -> ruby conversion
# rneuhauser@xxxxxxx / 2013-08-09 14:18:49 +0200:
1. procedural vs. object-oriented ruby

[...]

but, after perusing ops.rb, builtins.rb, and a few .rb files in
yast-installation/, it seems to me that we could have a much more
natural-looking ruby code if, instead of having Ops.add all over the
place we went for Yast::String#+, Yast::Array#+, etc. it seems
there's not so many places where we "return nil", and we could
"return Yast::String.new", "return Yast::Array.new" etc in such
places.

the point is: going from such Yast::String to String would be way
cheaper in terms of code churn than going from String|NilClass with
Builtins|Ops to String.

OTOH, code that looks just like it was normal Array but which treats
nils differently could be confusing, so maybe the other bullet (optimize
Builtins and Ops away where possible) is more attractive?

--
roman