Re: [yast-devel] Some YaST Packages Will Be Out of Maintenance Soon
V Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:47:49 +0200
Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxxx> napsáno:

- Delete all files from master branch and add README that would state
that $this package is free for taking over

This is what we are currently doing for dropped packages.

- Offer these YaST modules to community at opensuse-factory

In general, yes, we can offer maintenance of some packages to
community. but sometimes the drop needs to be final.

Looking at those modules:

- yast2-x11

As discussed elsewhere, the package is needed (might be renamed, of
course)

- yast2-irda
- yast2-fingerprint-reader

In the drop requests, main reason was that:
- IrDA is obsolete technology, there's no need to support that (and so
no need to look for new maintainers)
- there are fingerprint reader solutions for desktop environments, so
again, no need for YaST module. Besides, mentioned problems of this
module are based on lack of hardware support in the underlying
library, so giving maintainership of yast module would not solve
anything without solving such (upstream) problems.

Jiri

--
Jiri Suchomel

SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.