[yast-devel] Some YaST Packages Will Be Out of Maintenance Soon
Hi,

We'd like to stop maintaining some of the old YaST packages in both openSUSE and SLE in the near future because there are more important tasks we should focus on. This means that the current YaST Team will not take care of them anymore: add features, fix bugs, submit to Factory, etc.

We have a few options what we could do depending on the fact whether the openSUSE community wants to keep them:

- Remove from GitHub completely (not a good option)
- Delete all files from master branch and add README that would state
that $this package is free for taking over
- Move to openSUSE project and add some README without removing files
from the master branch, and also removing from openSUSE
- Offer these YaST modules to community at opensuse-factory

In all cases, we should replace the current MAINTAINER with some generic (opensuse-factory?) mailing-list.

Packages in question (examples)

- yast2-phone-services
- yast2-modem
- yast2-x11
- yast2-mouse
- yast2-irda
- yast2-fingerprint-reader

Let's discuss the possibilities and then let's decide which one is the best.

Thanks
Lukas

--

Lukas Ocilka, Cloud & Systems Management Department
SUSE LINUX s.r.o., Praha