Re: [yast-devel] Ruby code in SCR
* Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> [Jun 20. 2013 15:04]:

No programmer expects that 'puts' or 'printf' must work
to output a string to a graphical UI.

Good.

And the programmer should have the same attitude when it comes to
changing config files. What is understandable and accepted in terms of
UI access should also hold for accessing system resources.

The problem with letting programmers directly access system resources
is manifold:

- it adds complexity and responsibility
- it makes changing single values (like "just replace the 'Listen' port
in /etc/apache2/listen.conf, leaving everything else in place") hard
- it will not fix the 'YaST overwrote my config changes' complaint
- it's hard/impossible to detect/prevent resource conflicts
- it will open up the floodgates for all kinds of strange hacks,
like every programmer using his own implementation/library to
access INI type files.

There are probably more, the above list is just from the top of my head.

Klaus
16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany