Re: [yast-devel] Status of YaST bindings for common programming languages.
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 08:17:36AM +0200, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 20:15:22 -0500
Rajko <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On a factory mail list I mentioned that one can program modules for
YaaST in ycp which is known to small number of people that are busy,
and that prevents writing YaST modules by programmers that use common
languages.

It would be interesting to know status of bindings, so that we can
advertise that as a possibility.

The most used and mature binding is for Perl, as shown by this search:
find /usr/share/YaST2/ -name \*.pm

The Python binding is the least used, if at all.

We'd like the Ruby binding to be the best.

Hi,
I can talk just about ruby bindings that I maintain and it should work
without problems. For examples what is possible see
https://github.com/yast/yast-ruby-bindings/tree/master/examples/ruby
If you find a problem feel free to report it and I try to fix it. There
is some known issues, usually we are limited what ycp can do.
Limitation that is there now:
- from ycp you can call only ruby class methods
- optional parameters is not possible ( because ycp cannot do it )
- limited expection handling ( ycp doesn't have exception, so ruby
bindings catch exception and add method with description of method ).

We already have some code in ruby that is called from ycp ( see gloves
or in webyast it is used ), so at least basic functionality is

They are at:
https://github.com/openSUSE/gloves
https://github.com/webyast/webyast

guaranted. And I can fix issues quite quickly, so if you find some
blocker for you, I can look at it quickly.
--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner