Re: [yast-devel] Popcorn YaST integration
Dne 9.7.2012 09:58, Lukas Ocilka napsal(a):
On 07/06/2012 01:48 AM, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
On 07/05/2012 09:08 PM, Akshit Khurana wrote:
To collect reasonable amount of data for the project to be useful, I'd
like to propose default: on with the appropriate explanation for
sending anonymous statistical data.

It should be default OFF for privacy reasons. If some one wants to
provide data then they opt in and they can check the boxes do whatever
they need to do.

IMO if we set it OFF as default we'll get almost no data because users
will not bother to switch it ON.

As popcorn sends only statistics of usage for packages, there is no
private information in it and thus no personal data - which means there
should be no privacy concerns [#1].

Just be aware that list of packages can be easily transformed into a list of security bugs. Therefore no matter whether it will be on or off by default, we should make sure that the communication with the server is encrypted (and that the server has proper certificate).

Jiri

Anyway, this is a detail that should be set by the installation control
file #2 (new option has to be created) and this mailing-list suits well
for its implementation. However, the defaults could be discussed on the
openSUSE project mailing-list.

Bye
Lukas

#1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy

--- cut ---
Privacy concerns exist wherever uniquely identifiable data relating to a
person or persons are collected and stored, in digital form or
otherwise. In some cases these concerns refer to how data is collected,
stored, and associated. In other cases the issue is who is given access
to information. Other issues include whether an individual has any
ownership rights to data about them, and/or the right to view, verify,
and challenge that information.

--
Regards,

Jiri Srain