Re: [yast-devel] yast++ minutes -- 2012-02-13: name
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 02:12:52PM +0100, Vladimir Moravec wrote:
3. Name of the lib
==================

Main idea
---------
+ to use or not to use 'yast' as a part of the name

Pros
----
+ established name and community, descendant of Yast
+ well known and easy to distinguish from others

Cons
----
+ not suitable if we target multiple distros
+ hard to find on google
+ hard to distinguish the name from yast
+ has association with 'suse only'
+ possible problem in the mind, with trademarked work 'yast'
+ makes impression that it is successor of YaST, but it is actually
only extraction of part of YaST ( data processing )

Questions
---------
+ What are the criteria for the name?

Suggestions for the name
------------------------
+ ylib
+ anything with 'y' letter
+ liby
+ libyast

Results
-------
+ use yast++ name as before in the meantime
+ change is however expected in the course of further development

After dubious results with a straightforward or literal name, I
proclaim a metaphorical one: to build a good YaCHT, you need masts,
yards, sails, and cordage. The word is

rigging

I checked that the term is not taken in the software world (except
by programs to plan rigging for real ships; no confusion) and
registered the user on github (convertible to an organization).
--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner