Re: [yast-devel] 11.4 build of Yast2 failures?
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:35:48 -0800
Marc Chamberlin <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, In order for me to try and grok the YaST bootloader setup module,
I thought I would try and download the source code for YaST and
compile it on my openSuSE11.4 x86_64 system. Then perhaps I can
instrument the code in order to understand the model of the
bootloader that YaST presents... (and yes, I have asked before for
help on understanding the model, and not gotten any useful replies,
just sympathy from others who like me do not have a clue what the
various settings will do either.. And yes, I understand GRUB, and the
GNU documentation, but the openSuSE model and the bootloader GUI
remains incomprehensible to me...)

Hi,
Well, we were quite busy last weeks. And maybe you ask wrongly ( I
cannot find your email at all, when you send it?). If you have specific
question we can try to answer.
In general YaST2 bootloader is module that provide UI and proposal
logic. Data is serialized in perl-Bootloader library that knows
different syntax for different bootloaders. It is quite complex module,
so if you want just do some minor modification you should ask specific
question.

I followed the instructions found at

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST_development

and one of the things these instructions did was to refer me to
another tutorial -

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST_tutorials_development_in_general

which indicated that I needed to be sure to install a number of
additional packages. I carefully tried to install the listed
packages, but a number (shown below) were missing -

It is wiki, feel free to improve it. But if you found that it is not in
yast development pattern open bug report and we can improve it.

gettext-devel

I think it should be gettext-tools

gtk-devel there is a gtk2-devel package installed on
my system. Equivalent?

Yes, gtk1 we no longer use.

liby2util-devel

It is included in yast2-core-devel.. `zypper in liby2util-devel` install
correct package

openssl-devel there is a libopenssl-devel package installed on
my system. Equivalent?

Yes.

pkgconfig there is a pkg-config package installed on my
system. Equivalent?

Yes

But as I said I prefer if we have working devel_yast pattern so if this
pattern missing something, just report bug report and we try to fix it.

I dunno what to do about that, so decided to punt and go on. (Anyone
got any ideas on how I should locate these packages?)

Anywise, I downloaded the YaST source from the SVN (but not from
trunk) using the following command -

svn co
http://svn.opensuse.org/svn/yast/branches/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/

which I guessed would get me the source code for the version of YaST2
that was installed in my system. The checkout proceed fine, as did
the three make commands to build and install YaST2. But when I got to
the step -

y2tool y2makeall

Why you build all? you should concentrate on one you are interested in.

I got a number of errors as shown below (steps not shown appeared to
build properly without errors) These may be related to the fact that
I was unable to find and install all the required packages, so if
that is the case, then I need to understand how to find and install
those packages. Thanks in advance for helping me with this...

Marc...

Errors from the automatic compile of all of YaST......
<snip>

there errors are useless. Please run make in corresponding dictionary
and paste output here. just note that some modules is not longer
supported and provide just as it is ( usually noone use it so we even
don't notice that it doesn't build ).

y2makeall summary:

Success in 103 directories
Failure in 12 directories:

storage (base package)
registration (base package)
sound (base package)
schema (base package)
openwsman-yast
boot-server
cim
heartbeat
qt-graph
ruby-bindings
slide-show
you-server

If you have more questions, problems, ideas don't hesitate to ask

Josef

--
Josef Reidinger
Software Engineer Appliance Department