[yast-devel] 11.4 build of Yast2 failures?
Hi, In order for me to try and grok the YaST bootloader setup module, I thought I would try and download the source code for YaST and compile it on my openSuSE11.4 x86_64 system. Then perhaps I can instrument the code in order to understand the model of the bootloader that YaST presents... (and yes, I have asked before for help on understanding the model, and not gotten any useful replies, just sympathy from others who like me do not have a clue what the various settings will do either.. And yes, I understand GRUB, and the GNU documentation, but the openSuSE model and the bootloader GUI remains incomprehensible to me...)

I followed the instructions found at

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST_development

and one of the things these instructions did was to refer me to another tutorial -

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST_tutorials_development_in_general

which indicated that I needed to be sure to install a number of additional packages. I carefully tried to install the listed packages, but a number (shown below) were missing -

gettext-devel
gtk-devel there is a gtk2-devel package installed on my system. Equivalent?
liby2util-devel
openssl-devel there is a libopenssl-devel package installed on my system. Equivalent?
pkgconfig there is a pkg-config package installed on my system. Equivalent?

I dunno what to do about that, so decided to punt and go on. (Anyone got any ideas on how I should locate these packages?)

Anywise, I downloaded the YaST source from the SVN (but not from trunk) using the following command -

svn co http://svn.opensuse.org/svn/yast/branches/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/

which I guessed would get me the source code for the version of YaST2 that was installed in my system. The checkout proceed fine, as did the three make commands to build and install YaST2. But when I got to the step -

y2tool y2makeall

I got a number of errors as shown below (steps not shown appeared to build properly without errors) These may be related to the fact that I was unable to find and install all the required packages, so if that is the case, then I need to understand how to find and install those packages. Thanks in advance for helping me with this...

Marc...

Errors from the automatic compile of all of YaST......

Building storage
make -f Makefile.cvs
make
ERROR: 'make -j8 ' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/storage

Building registration
make -f Makefile.cvs
make
ERROR: 'make -j8 ' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/registration

Building sound
make -f Makefile.cvs
make
ERROR: 'make -j8 ' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/sound

Building schema
make -f Makefile.cvs
make
ERROR: 'make -j8 ' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/schema

Building openwsman-yast
make -f Makefile.cvs
ERROR: 'make -f Makefile.cvs' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/openwsman-yast

Building boot-server
make -f Makefile.cvs
make
/usr/bin/sudo make install
ERROR: '/usr/bin/sudo make install' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/boot-server

Building cim
make -f Makefile.cvs
ERROR: 'make -f Makefile.cvs' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/cim

Building heartbeat
make -f Makefile.cvs
make
/usr/bin/sudo make install
ERROR: '/usr/bin/sudo make install' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/heartbeat

Building qt-graph (cmake based)
make -f Makefile.cvs
cd qt-graph/build
make
ERROR: 'make -j8 ' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/qt-graph

Building ruby-bindings (cmake based)
make -f Makefile.cvs
ERROR: 'make -f Makefile.cvs' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/ruby-bindings
cd ruby-bindings/build

Building slide-show
make -f Makefile.cvs
ERROR: 'make -f Makefile.cvs' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/slide-show

Building you-server
make -f Makefile.cvs
make
/usr/bin/sudo make install
ERROR: '/usr/bin/sudo make install' failed for /home/marc/yast2/SuSE-Linux-11_4-Branch/you-server

y2makeall summary:

Success in 103 directories
Failure in 12 directories:

storage (base package)