Re: [yast-devel] Missing cleaning phase in yast development
Am 21.11.2011 14:35, schrieb Josef Reidinger:
Hi,
when I must change something in yast code I notice one important thing.
There is missing cleaning phase in development of yast. What is
cleaning phase? Go through code and check if all workarounds, hot-fix
or special cases is still valid. So check if workaround for broken
configuration option is not already fixed upstream, if hot fix cannot
be fixed better, if code change during fixing some unexpected condition
need some refactoring etc.
Well, I can hear notice that there is not enough time and that there is
no people, but I think that in midterm ( from one release to another )
it reduce time needed, as people work on better code and it is easier
to write new features and reduce bug count.
Any opinions? I think that for trunk is now perfect time as 12.1 is out
and we should push to upstream to fix our workaround properly.
Josef

There is another issue which can be checked when going through the code for cleaning up. Some time ago I have created redirects from old wiki pages to new opensuse wiki. There might be still old URLs mentioned in the YaST sources which should be replaced by new ones.

Below my former mail on yast-devel which shows YaST modules concerned and new wiki URLs:

Hi all,

I have checked the wiki URLs (http://en.opensuse.org) which are
mentioned in the YaST sources. Since the new opensuse wiki is started
some links haven't been available any longer.

If I have found the page in the new wiki I have created a redirect (most
important probably http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/YaST which is shown in an
installation error popup). I have also copied several pages from the old
wiki to the new one and have created the redirect.

The YaST modules containing wiki URLs are listed below.
I suggest that the following should be done:

* For redirected pages the old URL should be replaced by the new one
(to be able to clean up the wiki in future).

* If the page is not availabale in the new wiki, please copy the content
from old-en.opensuse.org (if still valid) to the new wiki, create the
redirect (if info is important) and mention the new URL in the module.

yast2-country
-------------
./country/package/org.opensuse.yast.modules.yapi.time.policy:
<vendor_url>http://en.opensuse.org/YAST</vendor_url>
./country/package/org.opensuse.yast.modules.yapi.language.policy:
<vendor_url>http://en.opensuse.org/YAST</vendor_url>
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:YaST

yast2-phone-services
--------------------
./phone-services/src/phone-services/fax.ycp:
//http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Style_Guide#Table_with_Buttons
./phone-services/src/phone-services/answering_machine.ycp:
//http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Style_Guide#Table_with_Buttons
-> YaST/Style_Guide
redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST_style_guide

yast2-autoinstallation
----------------------
./autoinstallation/doc/KDumpSection.xml:
the <ulink url="http://en.opensuse.org/Kdump";>openSUSE Kdump
documentation</ulink>.
-> page NOT found in new wiki

yast2-product-creator
---------------------
./product-creator/src/ProductCreator.ycp:
* see http://en.opensuse.org/Secure_Installation_Sources
-> page NOT found in new wiki

yast2-devtools
--------------
./devtools/devtools/bin/yastdoc:
# http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/yastdoc
-> page NOT found in new wiki

yast2-scanner
-------------
./scanner/src/dialogs.ycp:
// According to http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/
Style_Guide#Single_Configuration.2FOverview.2FEdit_Dialog
./scanner/src/dialogs.ycp:
// According to http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/
Style_Guide#Configuration_Wizard
-> YaST/Style_Guide
redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST_style_guide

./scanner/src/dialogs.ycp:
// http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Development/
Printer_Enhancement#Basic_Implementation_Principles:
-> page NOT found in new wiki

yast2-core
----------
./core/liby2/src/genericfrontend.cc:
* Visit our web site at : http://en.opensuse.org/YaST or #yast on
irc.freenode.net
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:YaST

yast2
-----
./yast2/library/wizard/src/Wizard.ycp:
* http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/
Style_Guide#Single_Configuration.2FOverview.2FEdit_Dialog
-> YaST/Style_Guide
redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST_style_guide

./yast2/library/network/src/SuSEFirewallServices.ycp:
// See also http://en.opensuse.org/SuSEfirewall2/
Service_Definitions_Added_via_Packages
-> SuSEfirewall2/Service_Definitions_Added_via_Packages NOT found
-> http://en.opensuse.org/SuSEfirewall2 exists

./yast2/library/control/src/ProductControl.ycp:
_("http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/YaST";)
./yast2/library/control/src/InstError.ycp:
_("http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/YaST";)
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Report_a_YaST_bug

yast2-pkg-bindings
------------------
./pkg-bindings/src/Target.cc:
y2warning("Pkg::TargetLogfile() is obsoleted, the log file is now
entirely handled by libzypp. See http://en.opensuse.org/Libzypp
/Package_History");
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Libzypp_history

./pkg-bindings/src/Locks.cc:
* see http://en.opensuse.org/Libzypp/Locksfile for more information
./pkg-bindings/src/Locks.cc:
* see http://en.opensuse.org/Libzypp/Locksfile for more information
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Libzypp_locks_file

./pkg-bindings/src/Package.cc:
// see http://en.opensuse.org/Product_Management/Code11/installed
-> page NOT found in new wiki

yast2-slide-show
----------------
./slide-show/SuSELinux/slideshow.xml:
(http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation).
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Documentation

yast2-installation
------------------
./installation/src/include/scr_switch_debugger.ycp:
_("http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/YaST";)
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Report_a_YaST_bug

yast2-packager
--------------
./packager/src/clients/webpin_package_search.ycp:
* See http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Search/Design for the API.
-> page NOT found in new wiki

./packager/src/modules/OneClickInstallStandard.ycp:
* http://en.opensuse.org/Standards/One_Click_Install
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org
/openSUSE:One_Click_Install_specification

yast2-network
-------------
./network/src/clients/save_network.ycp:
// hostname is supposed to be FQDN (http://en.opensuse.org/Linuxrc)
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Linuxrc

yast2-instserver
---------------
./instserver/src/dialogs.ycp:
// see http://en.opensuse.org/Standards/YaST2_Repository_Metadata/
content
-> Standards/YaST2_Repository_Metadata/content NOT found
-> these pages already exist in new wiki:
openSUSE:Standards_YaST2_Repository_Metadata
openSUSE:Standards_YaST2_Repository_Metadata_packages
openSUSE:Standards_YaST2_Repository_Metadata_media
openSUSE:Standards_YaST2_Repository_Metadata_patterns

yast2-metapackage
-----------------
./metapackage/schema/README:
Schemas for http://en.opensuse.org/Standards/One_Click_Install
-> redirected to: openSUSE:One_Click_Install_specification

./metapackage/src/OneClickInstallUI.ycp:
string HELP2 = _("See <tt>http://en.opensuse.org
/One_Click_Install</tt> for more information.");
-> redirected to: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:One_Click_Install

yast2-printer
-------------
./printer/src/printingvianetwork.ycp:
// http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Development/Printer_Enhancement
several pages also mention Printer_Enhancement#...
-> pages NOT found in new wiki

./printer/src/dialogs.ycp:
// http://en.opensuse.org/
YaST/Style_Guide#Single_Configuration.2FOverview.2FEdit_Dialog
./printer/src/connectionwizard.ycp:
// According to http://en.opensuse.org/
YaST/Style_Guide#Single_Configuration.2FOverview.2FEdit_Dialog
./printer/src/driveradd.ycp:
// According to http://en.opensuse.org/
YaST/Style_Guide#Single_Configuration.2FOverview.2FEdit_Dialog
./printer/src/basicmodify.ycp:
// According to http://en.opensuse.org/
YaST/Style_Guide#Single_Configuration.2FOverview.2FEdit_Dialog
/printer/src/overview.ycp:
// http://en.opensuse.org/
YaST/Style_Guide#Single_Configuration.2FOverview.2FEdit_Dialog
./printer/src/driveroptions.ycp:
// According to http://en.opensuse.org/
YaST/Style_Guide#Single_Configuration.2FOverview.2FEdit_Dialog
./printer/src/readwrite.ycp:
// According to http://en.opensuse.org/
YaST/Style_Guide#Single_Configuration.2FOverview.2FEdit_Dialog
./printer/src/basicadd.ycp:

--
Gabriele Mohr
Maxfeldstr. 5 Tel: +49 911 740 53 362