Re: [yast-devel] PATCH: Clean up library to set dialog title and icon

Hello Stanislav,

On Sep 15 13:05 Stanislav Visnovsky wrote (excerpt):
On Thursday 15 of September 2011 12:41:04 Johannes Meixner wrote:
On Sep 15 12:20 Stanislav Visnovsky wrote (excerpt):
All you need to do in a module now is to replace

Wizard::SetDesktopIcon("desktop-file-name");

Wizard::SetDesktopTitleAndIcon("desktop-file-name");

If you accept the patch, I will go through the modules and start to
change them to use the new functionality.

I provide the newest printer module also for SLE_11, SLE_11_SP1,
openSUSE_11.3, and openSUSE_11.4 via the Printing project
in the openSUSE build service.

If Wizard::SetDesktopTitleAndIcon is not available there
you would cause a regression by a backward-incomatible change.

So you would prefer not to change the title, correct? I can do the change
using the old API if you prefer.

As far as I see the current printer module dialogs have
meaningful titles which match to the dialog header text
so that from my point of view everything seems to be o.k.

Those titles / header texts have been developed together with
Martin Schmidkunz to ensure good usability (in particular to
avoid titles / header texts which are meaningless for the user).

I would not mind if the dialog title value for YaST dialogs is changed
to something better (whathever "better" may mean in this case ;-).

But I do care that whatever code there is in the printer module
must work for SLE_11, SLE_11_SP1, openSUSE_11.3, openSUSE_11.4,
and openSUSE_Factory.

By all means I want to avoid that the printer module may somehow
fail on those older platforms.

I run the newest printer module on my SLED11-SP1 based workstation
with day-to-day changing versions of CUPS (from stone age CUPS 1.1.x
used in SLE9/10 up to CUPS 1.4.6 in openSUSE:Factory) and additionally
with day-to-day changing printer driver packages.

I want to be safe that our users can do the same.

Bottom line:
Any subtle dependency on "new stuff" which might let something fail
in the printer module must be avoided.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner