Re: [yast-devel] Partitioning Scheme
On Tue, Aug 16, Martin Vidner wrote:

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 10:24:58PM -0400, Steven Sroka wrote:
I don't if this is the right list to send this to but, during
installation of openSUSE 12.1, Yast offers a default/recommended
partitioning scheme. The given /boot partition is set to be formatted
as ext4. Journaling is not needed though - shouldn't the partition be
formatted to ext2 instead for efficiency? I guess my line of thought
is based off of KISS.

Arvin, who should have a better informed opinion, is on vacation
thes week.

Anyway, journaling is not needed at all, as long as your system
never crashes. And as long as you don't need to reboot, you don't
need to care about /boot consistency.

We even have different variables for default_fs and default_boot_fs
in yast2-storage (AFAIK we had reiser as default_fs and ext2 as
default_boot_fs long time ago, when disk space was more precious
that today), but both are set to ext4 currently. No idea who decided
about that, but changing this silently is probably not a good idea.

BTW: Journaling can also make sense on /boot, since /boot is also
sometimes written to (e.g. during kernel updates, grup reconfig...).

Tschuess,
Thomas Fehr
--
Thomas Fehr, SuSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imend├Ârffer, HRB 16746 (AG N├╝rnberg)