Re: [yast-devel] Switching from SVN to GIT: yast-svn2git
* Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx> [Jul 25. 2011 16:14]:
Hi,

Klaus and Daniel created a tool for migrating the SVN repository via
'svnadmin dump' and splitting that up into smaller SVN repositories
which are then fed into svn-all-fast-export
The setup is at https://github.com/kkaempf/yast-svn2git

I have tried it on the network module, and the export ends at
revision 27004, apparently because it fails to bring in a file that
was moved from elsewhere:
http://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/yast?view=revision&revision=27004

Yes, this didn't show up in the initial tests but I found and fixed
it over the weekend. Its a dirty, but working hack ...

Another thing, the original revision numbers are lost. I frequently
refer to them in commit messages and Bugzilla, so I think they need
to be preserved somehow.

They are, as part of the git commit message.

Hmm, have we just reinvented svndumpfilter?
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svndumpfilter.commands.c.include.html

We tried with svndumpfilter but failed. Daniel might still have a link with
the explanation of what went wrong.

Or svndumpfilter2 ?
http://blog.janjonas.net/2010-02-16/svndumpfilter-svndumpfilter2-extract-svn-paths-to-separated-repository

Good catch, haven't heard about this before ! But it seems to suffer
from the same problem we had with svndumpfilter: rinse and repeat -
you have to manually collect all missing links, which are plenty for
some YaST modules.

Klaus
---
16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany