Re: [yast-devel] Changing the Attitude to Coding YaST: debugger
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:12:17 +0200

Dne 17.6.2011 18:35, Martin Vidner napsal(a):
The point is realizing that even though we strive for refactoring
YaST into a better shape using a better language, we are still left
with maintaining the enterprise releases. And they use YCP and the
more or less horrible code.

That's why I think investing a limited effort in a debugger will pay
off.

A limited effort is actually the maximum. On the other hand, it sounds
like a nice HackWeek or Workshop project. If we had a (good) debugger,
YaST developers would definitely use it.

An interesting research project would be a YaST module which is written in a
popular language that doesn't use YCP at all.

That's not merely interesting. That is a fundamental requirement to
keep YaST healthy.

What we want to achieve is not only to be able to write YaST module in a
popular language, but to be able to write it without hacks, in an easy
and understandable way. With tests, etc.

When this works out a lot of
module authors will also rewrite their YaST modules. And in a couple of
centuries YaST will be 100% YCP free. :-)

As Johannes said, people are not eager to completely rewrite
software just for fun. I think we will see a gradual refactoring
where it makes sense. Given the shape of YCP libraries, I think it
will make sense in an awful lot of places ;-)

Yes, sometimes it also makes sense to drop YCP library and use some
upstream one instead. We don't need to write everything by ourselves. I
don't expect anyone (ehm) to rewrite their working code into a different
language /just/ because it's possible. However, we sometimes need to
refactor the code or implement a new feature and writing it in some
popular language might be better for the future.

YCP itself is not a bad language. It has its own pros and cons, but it's
hard to find someone who "knows" that language. Nobody's going to learn
it /just/ because they can. It has no other usage than for YaST
development and that's usually not enough.

Lukas

- --

Lukas Ocilka, Appliances Department, SUSE LINUX s.r.o.
MD: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Alena Hendrichova