[yast-devel] Moving YaST from Subversion to Git
Why
---

Git is better. Git enables fearless hacking, power to the people,
easy merging. Being distributed, Git enables you to commit often to
your local repository and only publish the changes once you are
satisfied with the code. The tool supports you even if you do not
have write access to the master repo (yet), which lowers the barrier
to contribution.

http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/

How
---

1)
- I convert the SVN repo locally
- once it looks usable enough, let people clone it for more testing

2)
- make sure everyone feels comfortable with Git; educate and help
the newbies

3)
- work out the remaining conversion issues
- Where: select a hosting service (gitorious, github, elsewhere?)
- adapt devtools
- decide how to split it (platform - modules - libyui?)
- consider the commit/push policies, and their enforcement via Git
hooks; for example:
- git-flow
- whitespace rules
- .changes ordering

Who
---

I want to do it, but I could use a helping hand, both for the
details and making sure the project keeps moving.

When
----

If maintenance work permits, rather soon. Unlike the rest of the
Amaranth project, this can go forward before we decide the language
and architecture.

--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner