Re: [yast-devel] WebYaST will help the openness

Hello,

On Feb 15 17:19 Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
On 02/15/2011 12:34 PM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> I would like to describe only the logic of the UI elements
and leave the actual layout to an automatism like:
Group( Label( "Keywords and values"),
Group( InputField( "First keyword:", keyword1 )
InputField( "First value:", value1 )
),
Group( InputField( "Second keyword:", keyword2 )
InputField( "Second value:", value2 )
),
PushButton( "Store keywords and values" )
)

We could call it HTML, and the styling/positioning part CSS.

This would be o.k. for me.
I don't mind which language it is (even PostScript would be o.k. for me ;-)
provided it works this way also for ncurses, Gtk, and QT.
I only care that it is one single language for all user frontends.

Out of curiosity:

What would be the intersection set of possible UI functionality
for ncurses, Gtk, QT, and web-frontend?

In other words: Would a "common denominator UI functionality"
for ncurses, Gtk, QT, and web-frontend be insufficiently small
or would it be sufficient at least for a basic user interface?

I think for a basic user interface one needs at least
- Output (show arbitrary text to the user)
- InputField (let the user enter arbitrary text)
- SelectionList (show lines of text and let the user select a line)
- CheckBox (show text and let the user select or unselect it)
- Link (show text and proceed when the user clicks on it)

Basically CheckBox is a single-line SelectionList or
an OutputField which can be selected so that it seems
CheckBox is somehow optional and could be omitted.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex